35 Market Street,
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tel: 845 240 7320
Fax: 845 240 7321
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Southern District of New York
Northern District of New York
Dutchess County Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
Mid Hudson Women’s Bar Association
Dutchess Supreme Court Excellence Initiative Committee
Former Member, Dutchess County Bar Judicial Screening Committee
Former Member, Board of Mid-Hudson Civic Center
cum laude (1991);
University of San Diego
School of Law (1994)
Karen E. Hagstrom is an experienced trial attorney on the Firm’s litigation team. Benefiting from her 9 years of trial experience as a prosecutor in criminal and family court, Karen represents clients in matters before the Supreme Court, Family Court, County Court and Justice Courts.
Karen expanded the Firm’s tax certiorari practice area. Karen employs her expertise assisting owners of commercial and residential real estate in reducing their real property taxes from initial negotiations with the Assessor to the filing of grievance complaints, appearances before Boards of Assessment Review, filing petitions, Article 78 motion practice, hearings and trial. Karen currently represents the Towns of Poughkeepsie and Rhinebeck for Tax Certiorari cases.
In 2017, Karen was appointed Town Attorney to the Town of Stanford.
Prior to joining the firm, Karen worked in public service as a Senior Assistant District Attorney for Dutchess County, serving in the Justice Court Bureau, DWI Bureau, Special Victims Unit, Narcotics Bureau, Welfare Fraud Bureau, and Violent Crimes Bureau. Karen also worked as a Senior Assistant County Attorney in Dutchess County prosecuting child abuse and neglect cases.
- Karen was the first prosecutor in Dutchess County to try a case without the testimony of a domestic violence victim, expanded the law on Aggravated Harassment in a domestic violence case, and convicted multiple gang members in a lengthy trial.
- Obtained favorable court decisions for property owners involving the reinstatement or implementation of religious, charitable and agricultural exemptions, and the appropriate valuation of a nursing home.
- Obtained favorable court decisions for municipalities, such as the dismissal of petitions for lack of standing and for failure to establish entitlement to a charitable exemption.
- Obtained favorable court decisions determining the scope and use of easements.
- Successfully dissolved a Limited Liability Company with a receiver appointed to liquidate its assets.
- Successfully argued in the Appellate Division to declare a contract void for its failure to state essential terms.
- Successfully defended a client against a baseless report to Child Protective Services.
- Obtained an award of compensatory and punitive damages for a client in a defamation lawsuit after a lengthy civil jury trial involving multiple defendants.